On Tuesday, August 13 at around 1 pm, patrol units from several departments responded to the Mansfield/Huntington area as a patrol officer from the Mansfield Police Department was in pursuit of a vehicle that was refusing to stop. Information was given that the vehicle in question was seen leaving the Scott County Court House at a high rate of speed. A witness from this area reported a purse snatching as well.

Mansfield Police saw the vehicle near the high school on Highway 71. The vehicle sped toward the north on Highway 71. Mansfield Police, who were southbound, turned around and was a good distance behind the vehicle that was fleeing. Mansfield Police lost sight of the vehicle as it left Mansfield and headed toward Huntington. Officers sought to relocate the vehicle in the Huntington area.

Near the crest of Huntington Hill (Highway 71) a witness reported a vehicle had left the roadway crashing into the trees of the side of the road. Law enforcement responded to this area and found the vehicle that had fled. The vehicle had left the road way traveling about 40 yards, hitting several trees, and coming to a rest. Inside the vehicle was an injured juvenile passenger. EMS responded and the juvenile male subject was transported to an area hospital with serious injuries to his extremities and his back.

Calls began to come into the FSSO reporting seeing a black male subject running through the fields and woods of the area. At one point calls were received from citizens of the area of the subject banging on the doors of homes and requesting a ride.

Law enforcement officers responded from the Mansfield, Huntington, and Greenwood Police Departments. Also responding to the Huntington area were deputies from the Sebastian County Sheriff’s Office and troopers from the Arkansas State Police. After a thirty minute search the subject was located in the Huntington area hiding in the weeds. He immediately surrendered to officers.

It was learned that the subject found hiding was the driver of the fleeing vehicle. The driver was identified as a Darnell Anderson of Fort Smith. Anderson was taken to the Scott County Detention Center and charged with Felony Fleeing, Reckless Driving, and Endangering the Welfare of a Minor. Other charges could be pending as the matter is still under investigation.