More than a dozen people escaped safely from a home that caught fire early Friday on White Bluff Road.
Firefighters responded to the area just off Arkansas 45 in Sebastian County about 5:45 a.m., where they found the two-story home of a couple and their children engulfed in flames, said Jim Almond, White Bluff-Rye Hill Volunteer Fire Chief.
"It had a heck of a good start on us," he said. "It had already broke through the roof and burned it real bad in the back."
Members of the couple’s family escaped the burning home without injury, including a dog firefighters found a few hours after the fire started.
"I have no idea where he was hiding. It was somewhere well-protected because he didn’t have any burn marks; he was just wagging his tail, happy to be out of there," Almond said. "He got real lucky."
Firefighters got the flames under control about 1:45 p.m., using heat detectors to seek out any smoldering areas left behind.
Bonanza, Jenny Lind, Hackett and EMP firefighters out of Greenwood assisted to put out the blaze. No injuries were reported, Almond said. The fire destroyed most of the home, except for the garage, which firefighers salvaged.
"They lost their home, but if you’ve got your life you’ve got all you need," Almond said.
Firefighters are uncertain what ignited the flames, but the fire appeared to have started near the back door, Almond said.
"They were very lucky that they did have the fire alarm," he said. "From what I could tell, it looked like it pretty well started on the outside of the home. Because of the structure of the home itself, it didn’t take long to get inside."
The fire came a day before the couple was to be married.
"That’s what I heard from the owner of the house, that they had people in visiting and sleeping over because they were getting married Saturday," Almond said.