August 12

(2008)

10 Years Ago

Phase one of The Village at Hendrix was underway. The streets had been cut and the surface of the 23 acres had been shaped to allow for drainage.

Dayco Construction completed the UCA Student Center project that included 7,000 square feet of new construction and about the same amount of remodeled space. Students would have five new food choices in the new food court.

A group of junior and senior high teens gathered to rebuild the McNew Cemetery which had been vandalized over the July 4 weekend. About 30 tombstones were tipped over.

Forty or 50 students showed up.

(1993)

25 Years Ago

Work on the new church building and offices at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church was scheduled to be completed and dedicated in November. The old church would be converted to a chapel and parish hall.

Paul Aaron Lack, a junior at Conway High School, was one of three students from Arkansas in the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program to Germany. He would attend school in Germany while living with a German host family.

Paul Wilcox, a retired Greenbrier High School agriculture teacher, was selected as the winner of the Arkansas FFA Honorary State Farmer Award. Wilcox taught at Greenbrier for 33 years.

(1968)

50 Years Ago

Seventeen Boy Scouts of Troop 392 left for camp in Pensacola: David Smith, Kip Turner, Randy Glenn, Steve Sullivan, Robert Yarbrough, James H. Brewer, Jr., James Lane, Billy Talbott, Kenney Mulkey, Gary Hesson, Kirby Williams, Jimmy Fraser, Gary Gaither, Mark Benton, Gaylon Smith, Doug Wright and Jim Terrell. Tommy Jared was their scoutmaster.

Dr. Robert W. Goodloe, Jr., Dr. Burvin Alread and Lee Schilling were pictured mixing concrete to set fence posts for the Clifton Street Day Care Center.

A large plate glass window at Robinette Jewelry Store, 1006 Front, was knocked out and three boxes of rings were stolen.

(1943)

75 Years Ago

The national USO granted the Conway USO a charter, funds for some equipment and paid the monthly salaries of the hostess and janitor as well as heating expenses.

Vacation Bible School was being held at the First Methodist Church. Workers were Miss Julia Lee Moore, Mrs. Ralph Hillis, Miss Mary Mitchell, Mrs. R.C. Neal, Mrs. W.W. Weidemeyer, Mrs. David Driver, Mrs. J.M. Sims, Miss Tomasine Claiborne, Mrs. George Dickerson, Mrs. O.E. Goddard, Miss Eliza Hoskins, Mrs. E.A. Spessard, Mrs. Arley B. Shields, Miss Mary Ellen Smith, Mrs. W.S. Milburn, Mrs. H.B. Ingram and Mrs. Willie C. Love.

(1918)

100 Years Ago

Seven men from Faulkner County were summoned for examination for military service: John Avery Waddle, Greenbrier; Carl Gatewood and Isaac Blakeney, Conway; Charles L. Altsman, Ledwidge; Clarence Hubert Hart and John Philip Hall, Holland; and Robert Melton Munns, Mount Vernon. In addition, Willie Looper, Conway, and Otis Chance, Enola, both discharged and mobilization camps, were directed to appear for further examination.